Friday, July 29, 2011

DIY- Re-Upholstered Earrings

Hey Cats!
I was perusing my jewelry box the other day looking for something to remake for a DIY. I found these red earrings that I probably never would wear again, and decided to give them a makeover! I contemplated paint, ribbon, and buttons, but I settled on covering them in fabric. It reminded me of recovering a piece of furniture to make it fit better in a room- in the same way, I've recovered these earrings to better fit my wardrobe! I have had this fabric forever, and I don't really remember why I had it in the first place... anyways, it finally came in handy!
Here's what you'll need!
-1 pair of old round earrings,OR earring posts and buttons you can cover in fabric.
- Leftover fabric (You don't need much of this, just a few scrap pieces will do)
- Hot glue gun
- Scissors
Here's what you do!
1) Remove the backs from the earrings, being careful not to bend the posts. I pryed mine off with my fingernails, and it was actually kind of difficult.


2) Cut two small squares of your fabric. A good way to measure is to lay the circle on top of the fabric to see how much you'll need.


3) Turn the fabric over, with the side that you want to show on the bottom and the reverse side facing you. Turn the circle over as well, with the flat side facing you.

4) Take one corner of the square and glue it onto the button, making sure the fabric is pulled tight AND that the button stays in place.

5) Next, take the next corner and glue it in the center of the button.

6) You will notice a small point of fabric in between the two folds you just made. Glue this down too. You will have to hold it down with your fingers, and probably burn yourself with hot glue. I did. Multiple times. But it's worth it :)

7) Continue to glue down the corners and tiny points until the fabric wraps smoothly around the button. Try not to make it too lumpy on the back, because you will have to glue the post on.


8) Glue the post on, making sure it is centered and level. You should hold it down for a few seconds to make sure it sticks. 
9) Repeat steps 3-8 for the other earring, unless you just want one for some reason...

And you're done! Here's what they look like on!

I'm super excited about these & can't wait to wear them! I hope you try this, it's not as hard as you think! Also, I have another DIY coming soon, and I can't wait to share that one either! Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment